Pans vs Skillets
Distinguishing the difference between pans and skillets becomes easy when you understand the purpose and the appearance of each. Pans and Skillets are two types of cookware that are used for different purposes. Often, they are confused as referring to one and the same cookware. It is interesting to note that skillets are often referred to as frying pans. Though they are made of different materials, it is interesting to note that sometimes wooden handles are used in both the pan and the skillet. Usually, the handle is also made from the material that is used to make the pan or the skillet. However, the materials used for making pans and skillets are different. They are both very useful cookware without a doubt.
What is a Pan?
A pan is not shallow but deep. A pan does not have a long handle. Also, you will see that a pan has straight sides with flat bottom. As a result, a pan has more surface area. Then, what about the food? What are the items that can be fried or cooked in a pan? A pan is used for cooking various kinds of food. It can also be used with various cooking techniques. Well, you can cook chicken cutlets, mushrooms, as well as hamburgers in a pan. As you can see, all these food items use different techniques of cooking. When it comes to the materials used in the making, copper, aluminum, and stainless steel are chiefly used in the making of a pan. As a matter of fact, these materials pick up heat immediately and at the same time they lose heat as soon as the pan is removed from the stove.
What is a Skillet?
A skillet is not deeper in appearance like a pan. A skillet is shallow and hence is called a frying pan. A skillet is a long-handled pan. A skilled has slanted side. So, the surface area is a bit reduced. A skillet is used for frying food fast. In other words, it can be said that the purpose of using a skillet is not for slow cooking but for fast cooking. Then, what food can be cooked using a skillet? Or what are the items that can be fried or cooked on a skillet? Skillets are used for recipes using quick cooking techniques such as stir fry and browning. You can use a skillet to cook pork chops, potato pancakes or soft-shell crabs, as well as peppers and onions. You can also cook bacon, hash browned potatoes, or grilled cheese sandwich using a skillet. When it comes to the materials used in the making, skillet is usually made of cast iron and hence it does not cool down considerably soon.
Nowadays, there are also electric frying pans or electric skillets. As they operate using electricity, these skillets do not need a stove to cook food. Here, the temperature is provided by using electricity.
What is the difference between Pans and Skillets?
• One of the main differences between pans and skillets is that a skillet is not deeper in appearance like a pan.
• A pan is not shallow but deep whereas a skillet is shallow and hence is called a frying pan.
• A pan has straight sides whereas a skillet has slanted sides. As a result, a pan has more surface area than a skillet.
• As a result of the more surface area, you will find that a pan is heavier than a skillet of the same size.
• Due to its relatively less weight, a skillet is ideal for tossing food than a pan.
• Despite of the different surface areas, a skillet and a pan with the same surface areas reduce sauce in the same speed.
• Another important difference between a pan and a skillet is that a skillet is a long-handled pan whereas a pan does not have a long handle.
• A skillet is used for frying food fast whereas a pan is used for cooking food slowly.
• The items that can be fried or cooked in a pan are different from those that can be fried or cooked on a skillet. You can use a skillet for quick cooking techniques such as stir fry. On the other hand, you can use a pan for a variety of cooking techniques.
• Both the pan and the skillet differ from each other in terms of the materials used in their making. Copper, Aluminum, and Stainless Steel are chiefly used in making a pan. For making a skillet, usually cast iron is used.
• When it comes to caring for the pan or skillet there are few things to remember. The method you use to clean a pan or skillet should be based on the material the cookware is made. If it is made of copper, remember that these copper utensils are tinned to prevent any toxic reaction between the copper and food. So, the copper ones may need tinning from time to time. When it comes to carbon steel or cast iron pan or skillet, you should keep in mind not to remove the seasoned coating when you are cleaning. Stainless steel ones need very little maintenance. You do not have to remember a whole lot of things when cleaning stainless steel pans or skillets.
When it comes to choosing a pan or a skillet, think about what type of food you are going to cook using that cookware. Choose the one that best suits your need.