Refurbished vs Used
We all are aware of the word used and the concept behind used items as many of us have in the past bought items that have been used by their previous owners like second hand cars and other gadgets or home products. These days there is another term that is increasingly being used on websites selling gadgets is refurbished. While shopping for mobiles and computers on websites like eBay and Amazon, it is common to see description of refurbished pieces. Just what do they mean by refurbished and how do refurbished products differ from used items? Let us find out in this article.
Secondhand is the best description of a product that has previously been used. Mostly people prefer to buy brand new items for their personal use. However, at times when there are financial constraints, people have to make do with used products as they are much cheaper than new ones. The best example of the price advantage of a used product can be seen in the case of secondhand or used cars that are available at a fraction of the MRP of the car. Often, one has to pay not more than 20% of the original price of the car which is the reason why many people prefer to go for used cars. Used means something that has already been used.
Refurbished is a word that is increasingly being used for a category of products that are being sold on websites selling electronic gadgets. People are not sure what this word means and whether they should buy products labeled refurbished or not. Refurbished are products that broke and have been fixed to be sold again.
It has become common for cell phone companies to offer an unconditional 30 day money back guaranty on their phones to their customers where they ask no questions from customers who return purchased phones. All carriers like AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint etc receive thousands of phones in this manner that they have to dispose. They fix these phones and sell them as refurbished products on several websites on the internet. If you have been provided with a phone as a replacement for your phone as it was under insurance, most likely you have been given a refurbished phone and not a new phone.
You would be surprised to know that hundreds of thousands of electronic gadgets every year are thrown into landfills. This number would be astronomical if many of these were not resold as refurbished ones on the internet.
What is the difference between Refurbished and Used?
• People look for refurbished or used products when they are on a tight budget.
• Used products are what the word implies, old products that have been owned and used previously.
• On the other hand, refurbished products are the ones that broke and were fixed by the company and then sold on the internet.
• Refurbished products are closer in condition to new products than used ones.
• Refurbished products go through standard testing by the manufacturer once again while used products do not undergo any standard testing.
• Refurbished items may not have been used at all while used items have a history of usage.
• Refurbished products are costlier than used ones.
• Buying a refurbished product is more sensible than buying a used one.
No related posts.