Sound Editing vs Sound Mixing
Almost all of us have watched an Oscar’s award and have heard of sound editing and sound mixing. Most of us might have voted as to what films should win in these categories and more often than not, both categories are won by one film. Meaning, if a films wins sound editing, it would seem automatic that sound mixing also goes to the same film. The primary reason for this is the lack of knowledge regarding the difference between editing and mixing. Both maybe used in films however there is quite a distinction between the two that everyone should be aware about. It is really hard to differentiate both, so it is best to learn a thing or two about the difference between sound editing and sound mixing.
Sound editing is the making of music to compliment the film out of scratch. Mostly sound or music that is used in films are recorded in the studio and are well planned and are not made from the set. In sound editing, one creates music or sounds from nothing at all, making it original and distinct to a particular film. In simplified terms, sound editing means creating. Sound editing used to be called sound effects but the latest name gives it a broader range than just effects.
On the other hand, sound mixing in simplified terms means mixing of already available sounds into a film. It might sound less stressful however; mixing is still difficult and deserves attention as well. Sound mixing needs to have the perfect element to compliment the scene in a movie, sound mixing should be well prepared in order for it not to overpower the movie. This is how the sounds such as effects, dialogue and music are put together to accentuate a particular scene.
Difference between Sound Editing and Mixing
Both sound editing and sound mixing are important in films, both deserve great respect. If one part would be missing, a film will not be as great as it is with both editing and mixing.
Sound editing means creating sound from nothing while mixing simply means mixing available sounds to highlight or at times balance a particular scene.
Usually, people relate sound editing with directors, because they create something from nothing. While sound mixing is linked with cinematographers who can put together different effects and attributes into one great sound.
1. Both sound editing and sound mixing is given credit for in Oscar’s awards and other movie awards.
2. Both editing and mixing are confusing when you start to listen. Both are sounds in the movie that compliments and makes a film more interesting.
3. Editing means creating while mixing simply means mixing sounds to highlight or at times balance a particular scene.
4. Editing is originally made; on the other hand, mixing is taking a lot of sounds and combining it to make one great sound.
5. Sound editing can be attributed to directing a film while cinematographers are linked with sound mixing.
No related posts.