The key difference between apes and human is that apes are close relatives of humans who consists of two extant branches; great apes and lesser apes, while humans are, the only extant members of the subtribe Hominina who have characteristics of erect posture, bipedal locomotion, heavy tool use, complex language use, etc.
Apes and Human are two mammals in the order of primates that share similarities as well as differences with each other. As a matter of fact, according to the science authorities and evolutionists, these two mammals have 98% exactly the same DNA which leaves only a minimal of 2% as their differences.
Who are Apes?
Apes are close relatives of humans. In fact, human is also a kind of apes. There are two groups of non-human types apes namely Hominidae or greater apes and Hylobatidae or lesser apes. Great apes include gorillas, bonobos, chimpanzees and orangutans. Lesser apes include gibbons and siamangs. They are typically omnivores, meaning, they consume plants and animals as their main source of food. However, this is not true for some sub-species of apes like gorillas that are herbivores or creatures that consume only plants as the main source of food.
Apes do have larger brains, and they don’t have a tail, unlike monkeys. Furthermore, like humans, apes can use tools and learn languages. Moreover, apes are social and live in a small family.
Who are Humans?
The scientific name of the human is Homo sapiens. It is a Latin word meaning all-knowing. Humans are equipped with logical reasoning and exceptional brain capability.
Furthermore, they have the ability to distinguish what is right and wrong. What sets humans apart from any other mammals is their reasoning and curiosity which lead them to the discovery of unknown objects. Humans are sexually dimorphic wherein males are larger than females in size and shape. They show an erect posture and bipedal locomotion as well.
What are the Similarities Between Apes and Human?
- Apes and human are primates.
- They are close relatives.
- Also, they share about 98% DNA with each other.
- Furthermore, both apes and human do not have tails.
- Moreover, both groups have a larger brain.
- In addition, they are capable of using tools and learning languages.
- Besides, both apes and humans breastfeed their young.
- And, they take care of their young ones for many years.
What is the Difference Between Apes and Human?
Apes and humans belong to the order Primates. Apes are a sister group of old world monkeys which are tailless mammals. They consist of two branches; great apes and lesser apes. On the other hand, humans are the only extant members of the subtribe Hominina. They are characterized by the erect posture, heavy tool use, complex language use, bipedal locomotion etc. Therefore, this is the key difference between apes and human. Among apes and humans, humans have a high intelligence than apes. But apes can drink and breathe at the same time while humans cannot. This is the also a significant difference between apes and human.
The below infographic of difference between apes and human shows more differences between both primates.
Summary – Apes vs Human
Ape and human have been the famous subject matter of debate until now. The scientists and evolutionists are saying that humans came from apes. A famous evolutionist, Charles Darwin, created the theory of evolution that explains that apes underwent series of evolution through time until they became human. Hence there are differences between apes and human. Among them, the important difference between apes and human is that the apes can drink and a breather at the same time but human cannot do this. Furthermore, human is a highly intelligent creature that can determine what is right and wring while apes cannot do any logical thinking. The arms and legs of the apes are far more superior compared to human.
1.”Orang Utan, Semenggok Forest Reserve, Sarawak, Borneo, Malaysia”By Eleifert – Own work, (CC BY-SA 3.0) via Commons Wikimedia
2.”Akha cropped hires”By Weltenbummler84 (CC BY-SA 2.0 de) via Commons Wikimedia