Key Difference – Hydrogen Water vs Alkaline Water
Water is an abundant inorganic compound in earth’s crust. Around 71% of earth’s crust is covered with water, but only a little percentage of it is drinkable. However, water is an essential component for life on earth since living beings such as plants, animals, microorganisms, and humans need water for functioning. Hydrogen water and alkaline water are two types of modified water forms. The key difference between hydrogen water and alkaline water is that hydrogen water has a low pH value whereas alkaline water has a higher pH than drinking water.
1. Overview and Key Difference
2. What is Hydrogen Water
3. What is Alkaline Water
4. Similarities Between Hydrogen Water and Alkaline Water
5. Side by Side Comparison – Hydrogen Water vs Alkaline Water in Tabular Form
What is Hydrogen Water ?
Hydrogen water is water that contains a little amount of hydrogen gas along with a little amount of magnesium. These components make hydrogen water more beneficial than normal drinking water. The reason for the presence of magnesium in hydrogen water is that magnesium can react with water molecules to generate hydrogen gas. At higher temperatures, hydrogen is liberated in the form of hydrogen gas.
Drinking water approximately contains around 0.0017 g of hydrogen per 1 kg of water (at room temperature). Hence, to obtain 1 gram of hydrogen from normal drinking water, about 588 kg of drinking water should be consumed. But, hydrogen water contains the maximum amount of hydrogen that it can hold at a given temperature; therefore consuming hydrogen water is more beneficial.
Hydrogen gas is known to have therapeutic effects. When hydrogen gas is inhaled, it can act as an antioxidant inside our body, which can stop inflammation. When inhaled, hydrogen gas is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream in the lungs and is carried throughout the body. Since hydrogen water also contains more hydrogen than drinking water, more hydrogen is absorbed into the blood and carried throughout the body. There are many other benefits of hydrogen water:
- Act as an antioxidant and avoid brain damages
- Improve mood disorders
- Suppress inflammation
- Reduces muscle fatigue
- Prevent metabolic syndrome
- Help in weight loss
- Enhances mitochondrial function
- Treats diabetes
What is Alkaline Water ?
Alkaline water is a form of modified water obtained by increasing the amount of calcium and magnesium hydroxide. It is made by a water ionizer. The pH of alkaline water is very high because there are basic (alkaline) components in it. Since the mineral content is high, alkaline water has many benefits.
Some of the important factors about alkaline water are given below.
- It is a powerful antioxidant
- It is used to balance the pH of the body
- Drinking alkaline water cause hydration
- Wash away toxins
- It helps the immune system to function properly
- Prevent diabetes
- Fight against cancer
What are the Similarities Between Hydrogen Water and Alkaline Water?
- Both are forms of water that are modified
- Both are good antioxidants
- Both are useful to fight against cancer
What is the Difference Between Hydrogen Water and Alkaline Water?
Hydrogen Water vs Alkaline Water
|Hydrogen water is water that contains a little amount of hydrogen gas along with a little amount of magnesium.||Alkaline water is a form of modified water obtained by increasing the amount of calcium and magnesium hydroxide.|
|Hydrogen water has a lower pH.||Alkaline water has a high pH than drinking water.|
|Hydrogen water is loaded with hydrogen.||Alkaline water contains a high amount of calcium and magnesium hydroxide.|
Summary – Hydrogen vs Alkaline Water
Hydrogen water and alkaline water are two forms of drinking water that have very important health benefits. The key difference between hydrogen water and alkaline water is that Hydrogen water has a lower pH whereas alkaline water has a high pH than drinking water.
1. Cohen, Joe. “27 Scientific Health Benefits of Drinking Hydrogen Water (Molecular Hydrogen).” Selfhacked, 10 Oct. 2017, Available here.
2. “Lifeionizers”. “Alkaline Water vs Hydrogen Water. Benefits of alkaline water.” Life Water Ionizers | Top Water Ionizers & Water Machine Reviews, 31 Jan. 2018, Available here.
3. “Alkaline Water: Benefits, Side Effects, and Dangers.” Healthline, Healthline Media, Available here.
1. “A water droplet splash” By Luke Peterson from Sydney, Australia – Splash!, (CC BY 2.0) via Commons Wikimedia
Leave a Reply