Advice vs Suggestion
The difference between advice and suggestion is not hard to understand if you pay attention to what each word means exactly. However, since most of us do not pay such attention, advice and suggestion remain as two words in the English language that are often confused due to the similarity in their meanings. Strictly speaking there is some difference between the two words. We can understand this difference by seeing the context in which a person gives advice or makes a suggestion. You will see that suggestion can be the result of considering things briefly and can be made by only thinking about the passing moment. However, an advice is made by considering not only now but also the past and the future. A person does not give advice to someone in a hurry too.
What does Advice mean?
The word advice is used in the sense of ‘counsel’ as in the sentences given below.
He gave an advice to his brother.
The advice that was given by him was followed with diligence.
In both the sentences, the word advice is used in the sense of ‘counsel’. In the first sentence, you get the idea that he counseled his brother. In the second sentence, you get the idea that the counsel that was given by him was followed with meticulousness. Since advice is counsel it has more value. It is presented to you by someone who has experience. The person who gives advice to someone has also considered all the facts present and has considered what will or will not happen if you follow the advice. You can certainly choose not to follow an advice given to you. However, generally advice is given to be followed.
Further, the word advice is used as a noun. Look at the following example.
He received a piece of advice from his teacher.
As you can see the word advice is used as a noun in the above sentence.
What does Suggestion mean?
The word suggestion is used in the sense of ‘giving an idea’ as in the sentences given below.
He suggested that it could be done in this way.
She gave a suggestion for the easy functioning of the club.
In both the sentences, you can see that the word suggestion is used in the sense of ‘giving an idea’. In the first sentence, you get the idea that he gave an idea to do a particular work in a certain way. In the second sentence, you get the idea that she gave an idea, following which, one can easily run a club.
The word suggestion is also used as a noun. Look at the following example.
I need your suggestion in this case.
In the above sentence, the word suggestion is used as noun.
It is interesting to note that the word suggestion has its verb form in the word ‘suggest.’ Since a suggestion is just an idea someone has about something, no one expects you to follow every suggestion that comes your way. You can take time and consider and follow it only if it fits you too.
What is the difference between Advice and Suggestion?
• The word advice is used in the sense of ‘counsel.’ The word suggestion is used in the sense of ‘giving an idea.’
• It is interesting to note that the two words advice and suggestion are nouns.
• You give an advice based on your experience and considering the situation. However, you give someone a suggestion at the moment by letting them know what your think. This can be based on experience or not.
• When someone presents a suggestion to another, the other party has the freedom to follow it or not. This is because it is just an idea. However, when someone presents an advice to someone else, generally the receiving party is expected to follow that. You can choose not to follow.
• The verb form of advice is advise. The verb form of suggestion is suggest.
These are the differences between the two nouns advice and suggestion.