Blackberry OS 5 vs OS 6 | Blackberry OS 6 vs 6.1 updated
BlackBerry OS 5 and OS 6 are the two operating system that are mostly running in Blackberry phones. Blackberry OS 6 is the latest version. BlackBerry announces its new operating system OS 6 as; simple setup, intuitive & fluid design, sleek visual, easy multitasking, faster browsing and smart organization.
Blackberry OS is a mobile operating system developed by RIM (Research in Motion) for Blackberry Smartphones. This is Proprietary software developed in C++. Blackberry OS supports multitasking. Third party developers can write application software for blackberry OS by using Blackberry API (Application Programming Interface).
Blackberry Software 5.0 introduces the following feature on top of its existing functionality
(1) Email – Flags for follow ups and Mail folder management was introduced. In Flagging, assign due date, apply different colours and set reminders are added features which makes user to follow up important mails with priority.
(2) Calendar – Forward a calendar entry and view attachments from calendar entries.
(3) Files – Find, open, view, edit, save or email JPEG, PDF, MS Word, MS Excel and MS PowerPoint files directly from phone running Blackberry OS 5.
(4) Contacts – Wireless Contact Synchronization sync contacts in multiple contact folders and personal distribution list in users desktop.
(5) Gmail – Supports for many of the Gmail features like search, labels, stars, archive, conversation view and report spam.
(6) SMS – Displays as SMS threads looks like chat with emoticons and display pictures.
(7) Time Zone Automatic Detection is a known feature most of the phones do.
(8) BlackBerry Browser – Improved capabilities to experience the rich animations.
(9) BlackBerry Maps – Zoom available for close look, faster route calculation, automatic address detection (From email or web pages),Point of Interests and its rating in blackberry maps, Navigation, Photo Geotagging.
Blackberry Software 5.0 supports for the following models of Blackberry handsets, BB Curve 8330, BB Curve 8350i, BB Curve 8520, BB Curve8530, BB Curve8900,BB Strom 9530,BB Strom2 9550,BB tour 9630BB Bold 9000,BB Bold 9650 and BB Bold 9700.
Blackberry OS 6 is enhanced with the following features on top of its existing feature list from previous softwares
(1) Customised and Organised new home screen menu with customised add option of other menu items.
(2) Introducing two quick access areas,
a. One quick access area to manage connections, alarms and option screens.
b. Other quick access area on home screen is to enable access to most recent messages such as emails, SMS,BBM (Blackberry Messenger),Phone calls, upcoming appointments and facebook and twitter notifications.
(3) Introduces Universal Search Application to perform searches internally in the handset as well as web searches.
(4) Blackberry OS 6 Browser – Faster Browsing than ever before
a. New Start Page – Its implemented with a single URL entry box and Search entry box to enable user fast browsing
b. Tabbed Browsing – Enables user to browse multiple pages and keep tracking of open tabs.
c. Social feeds integration and option menu – Enable RSS feeds better than earlier versions and in browser options unnecessary options are automated and really wanted options are made available for users.
d. View Content Made Easy – Zoom of content is made easy and perfect by introducing multi touch in touch screen models. Its possible in normal models as well.
(5) Enhanced Media Player introduced.
Blackberry OS 6 Supported Blackberry handsets as at today: Blackberry Torch 9800, Blackberry Bold 9780 and Blackberry Style 9670.
So the difference between Blackberry Software 5.0 and Blackberry OS 6 are listed above. Obviously Blackberry OS 6 is better than Blackberry Software 5 in lots of aspects which RIM has proudly announced recently.
References: Blackberry.com and Blackberry blog.