Endangered Species vs Threatened Species
The world is an ever-changing place, demanding new adaptations from species; otherwise, the result would be severe and the species could end up in extinction. According to the most respected estimations, there are only 2% of all the species that have ever occurred on the face of the Earth is extant, and the rest 98% is gone extinct. However, the rate of extinction has been significantly gone high due to detrimental anthropogenic activities on the environment. Therefore, laws had to be brought out to control those human activities in order to conserve the diversity of plants and animals. Endangered and threatened species happen to be some of those categories that species have been classified, depending on the trends of changing their population sizes.
Endangered species is a plant or animal species that is in the verge of extinction. Heavy harvesting, poaching, killing, hunting, or destroying their natural habitats are amongst the most causative factors for a species to be endangered. Endangered species has been defined in the US Federal Endangered Species Act of 1973 (Act) as well as in the IUCN (The World Conservation Union) Red list categories. Both definitions imply laws to protect activities that could harm any of the living individuals or habitats of a species that has been categorized as endangered. Asian Elephant, Dhole, Siberian Tiger, Red Wolf, Gorillas, most of the Sea Turtles, Giant Panda, and Blue Whale are amongst most endangered animal species of the world, and they have drawn much of the concentration of people to conserve them. Despite the fact that endangered species are in the brink of being extinct, the captive breeding and reintroduction into the wild would be successful if those conservation activities are done carefully and scientifically. Therefore, once a species has been identified as endangered, the protective measures should be fast and smartly taken. If the status of a species becomes worse than endangered, the species will be categorised as Critically Endangered. On the other hand, if the situation gets better, the species could go into the category Near Threatened, or Vulnerable depending on the trends of population growths.
The IUCN category of Threatened Species contains all the species that have been categorized as Endangered, Critically Endangered, and Vulnerable. However, according to the US Federal Endangered Species Act of 1973 (Act), a species in the threatened status has a better population growth trend compared to an endangered species. However, as the mean of the word implies, the definition of the IUCN sounded more suitable for most of the conservation biologists. The first threatened category is the vulnerable, where the population strength is considerable in terms of numbers but started to dwindle. In Endangered and Critically Endangered species, the population sizes are dwindling and almost gone respectively. The number of species that have been threatened according to the IUCN is very high compared to all other categories except the Data Deficient category. Therefore, a threatened species should be treated seriously well regardless of what the threatened category that the species falls to, as the consequences by not doing so would be irreversible.
What is the difference between Endangered Species and Threatened Species?
• An endangered species is a type of threatened species according to the IUCN. On the other hand, a threatened species becomes endangered if the situation gets worse according to the US Federal Endangered Species Act of 1973 (Act).
• Endangered species is one category, whereas threatened species is a collective term to refer three IUCN categories.
• There are more threatened species than endangered species.
• An endangered species is in the verge of extinction but not all the threatened species.