Java vs C language
Java and C are both computer programming languages. Both are used to develop software applications. Java is used to create application based on e-commerce and applets while C language is used to create system software.
In 1972, the C language was developed at the Bell labs and it was designed to work with the UNIX operating system. The C language is not only used to develop system software rather it is also used to develop portable application software. The C language employs structural programming and it also allows lexical variable scope as well as recursion. Static type system helps in preventing unintended operations.
All the executable code in C is contained inside the functions and their parameters are passed by value. When parameters are passed by functions, pointer values are used. Semicolon is used in order to terminate a statement. A function called “Main function” is the one in which the execution of the program is done.
Following are the features of C language:
• A wide variety of compound operators such as ++, -=, += etc.
• Ad-hoc run time polymorphism is supported by data and function pointers.
• Conditional compilation, file inclusion of source code and a macro definition preprocessor.
• Reserved keywords are small.
Java is a purely object oriented programming language and it was developed by Sun Microsystems in 1990s. Although it was designed for small programs that run on the browser called applets but later on, it is also being used to create e-commerce applications.
There are five main features of Java language:
• Built-in support for computer networks.
• The code from the remote source can be executed securely.
• Easy to use as it combines the best properties of other programming languages.
• Provides more flexibility to develop software applications because of object oriented approach.
• Allows code written in Java to run on different platforms or Java code is independent of platform.
There is no such thing as manual memory management in Java rather it supports automatic memory management. This saves a lot of time of programmers as they don’t need to free memory manually rather this is achieved by the implementation of automatic garbage collection. Some programmers think that Java consumes more memory as compared to C and C++ programming languages.
Difference between Java and C language
• Java is an object oriented programming language while C is a procedural or structural language.
• Java was developed by Sun Microsystems while C language was developed at Bell labs.
• Java is used to create applets and e-commerce applications based on the web while c language is used to create system software and applications.
• Java employs the concept of objects and classes while C language does not support them.
• Java supports automatic garbage collection while C language does not even though some programmers believe that Java consumes more memory.