NBC vs MSNBC
NBC and MSNBC are two popular media networks in United States. NBC is the National Broadcasting Company headquartered in New York. It is a American television network sometimes referred to as Peacock Network for its colorful logo that was adopted for color broadcasts. MSNBC, on the other hand is a cable news network based in US, and available in US, UK, Canada and Middle East. It is a part of the bigger NBC group deriving its initials from Microsoft and NBC. It is also a news channel but it augment s the original content from NBC by adding interviews and videos making them more interactive and entertaining. Why MSNBC was created separately from NBC can be anybody’s guess, but the primary reason was money as NBC had reached a saturation point and in order to retain and increase its customer base as also to fulfill the demands of a newer generation, a pay for programming was introduced through MSNBC to make the programs more colorful and interesting for the younger generation. This was also done to increase revenues through advertising which poured in with lots of celebrities being invited in the programs of MSNBC.
MSNBC came into existence because of a partnership between GE’s NBC unit and Microsoft in 1996. Later, NBC Universal was formed acquiring major stakes in the company leaving Microsoft at 18% equity in the arrangement. MSNBC has the same peacock logo as that of the parent company. MSNBC is available in nearly 100 million households in the US and is credited with hosting current affairs programs that invite celebrities.
Difference between NBC and MSNBC
• While both MSNBC and NBC belong to the same group and produce similar content in the field of news, entertainment, sports, and health, they fight it out for viewer ship among themselves.
• While NBC is very old and started with radio broadcasting in 1926 and TV in 1941, MSNBC started very late in 1996 with Microsoft investing $220 million in the company.
• While NBC is wholly owned by NBC Universal, it holds 82% shares in MSNBC with remaining 18% going to Microsoft.
• NBC advertises itself as more colorful news, MSNBC advertises itself as ‘The Place for Politics’ and ‘America’s Fastest Growing News Channel’’
• For content MSNBC depends upon NBC, but presents them in an entirely different manner adding interviews and chat shows thus elaborating and providing insider’s story to the content.
• Political affiliations of both the companies are evident in the manner of broadcasting.
• NBC is ahead of MSNBC in terms of viewer ship. While it reaches around 100 million households, MSNBC’s reach is around 80 million.
• NBC is considered to be more suave and has content suited to the higher educated class, while MSNBC makes programs colorful and interesting and thus caters to a larger customer base.
• MSNBC is broadcast through cable and has more national and international coverage while NBC is a general broadcasting network having more local content.
No related posts.