Chocolate vs Fudge
We all know what chocolate is and also know that besides being available in the form of bars, there are many different variants of chocolate such as powder and syrup. There is hardly a soul who has not tasted and liked chocolate whether as a candy or as hot chocolate in the morning as a beverage. However, there is another food item called fudge that is confusing for some people because of its similarities with chocolate. Despite the fact that chocolate is an ingredient in fudge, there are many more differences between the two confectionary items that will be discussed in this article.
Chocolate is a bitter sweet food item that is prepared from cocoa beans. These beans happen to be seeds of the cocoa plant. Actually beans are obtained from a pod and fermented to make them lose their bitterness somewhat. These beans go through a number of processes such as roasting and shelling, to let them develop the flavor and aroma for which chocolate is so famous. Shelling reveals the cacao nibs that are taken out and ground to obtain cocoa mass. This mass is what can be termed as pure chocolate. This cocoa mass is turned into many different products such as syrup, powder and bars and consumed as candies, hot chocolate as a beverage, and as a flavor in many confectionary products such as cakes, biscuits and even ice-creams.
Fudge is a single word that refers to many different food items. While fudge is a famous brand of chocolate produced by Cadbury, it is also a hot chocolate beverage that is popularly added to ice-creams as a topping, especially sold as sundaes. This syrup is also used to dip cakes to give them a chocolaty flavor.
In UK and some other European countries, fudge is a type of confectionary that made using sugar, butter, and milk. The ingredients are heated and mixed thoroughly to a high temperature and then letting it cool down, beating it occasionally to give it consistency and smoothness. Many different flavors of this sweet food item are available.
Talking about Fudge chocolate bar being sold in UK by Cadbury, it is a semi circular bar of the same fudge sweet that is covered inside a layer of hot chocolate.
What is the difference between Chocolate and Fudge?
• Fudge bar contains chocolate as an ingredient as it is fudge covered with chocolate, but it is not chocolate alone
• Chocolate is the cocoa mass obtained from the coca beans of the cacao plant, and it can be converted into powder or syrup
• Chocolate is also sold as bars available in many different flavors
• Fudge is also a kind of sweet confectionary made in UK using butter, sugar, and milk
• As a sweet, fudge is soft and contains milk products in addition to cocoa
• Fudge has a grainy texture while chocolate is always satin smooth
• Fudge has a light color while chocolate is available as both dark and light colored bars