Lotion vs Cream
The difference between lotion and cream can be identified, mainly, from the viscosity of each product. Among skin care products, lotions and creams occupy a prominent place. The basic function of these products is to keep the skin hydrated and to make it soft and supple. Though anyone can use creams and lotions, before deciding one of the two, one must have a look at the condition of his/her skin. Some people have too dry skin that needs moisturizing and unless you use beauty products like creams and lotions, the condition of your skin may aggravate turning it into a skin disorder. Though many people think both creams and lotions are same and they can use either of the two, this is wrong as there is a subtle difference between these two beauty products.
Normal healthy skin has water retention properties that make it soft and flexible. There are layers of oil in the surface layers of skin, preventing water from evaporating from the deeper layers of the skin. The epidermis works as a natural barrier not allowing foreign elements to get in and excessive loss of moisture at the same time. However, because of ageing, and also because of effects of harsh weather, this ability of the skin is greatly reduced resulting in water evaporating out of skin and microorganisms, irritants, and allergens getting inside the skin easily. This leads to dry skin that can cause skin disorders.
What is Lotion?
Lotions are a mixture of oil and water and are thin and have an easy flow. In other words, the viscosity or the thickness of lotion is low. This allows people to apply them easily over large body parts such as arms and legs. Other than oil and water, lotions contains ingredients such as glycerin, fragrances, dyes, and preservatives. Glycerin is again to keep moisture. Fragrances is to add a sweet smell and dyes to give a color to the lotion. Then, preservatives are added to keep the lotion for a long period of time. Lotions give a cooling sensation after application, which makes them ideal for use in summers. Those who suffer from eczema or those who have a hairy body find it easier to use lotions as they tend to spread easily unlike creams.
What is Cream?
Creams also are a mixture of oil and water, but they are thicker than lotions. By saying cream is thicker than lotion, we are saying that the viscosity of cream is higher than the viscosity of lotion. So, one has to rub vigorously to put them inside the skin. Other than oil and water, cream also has glycerin to keep the skin moist. Some creams contain aloe. Aloe gives the skin a cool sensation helping to reduce inflammation. Creams also contain preservatives to keep them for a longer time. Also, there are fragrances too to give a sweet smell to the user. Most of the creams are non-greasy and are good for use in winters as they have the ability to get absorbed by the skin. Some body parts are such that one cannot apply lotions over them such as eyes. Similarly anti ageing creams are better than lotions for the same purpose as creams absorb in a better manner inside the skin. However, you should remember not to use heavy oil based creams on your face. You can use them only if you have really dry skin.
What is the difference between Lotion and Cream?
• Both creams and lotions are necessary for our bodies to help to keep it moisturized so that our skin becomes soft and supple. Both are mixtures of oil and water.
• Very dry skins may necessitate use of lotions as they are easier to apply over larger body parts.
• Lotions are better for hairy parts. Creams are better over eyes and wrinkles of the face.
• Both creams and lotions work to hydrate the skin and lotions. You can use either according to your preference.
• Viscosity or the thickness of cream is higher than lotion.
• Since the viscosity of lotions is low, they come in bottles. That way you can easily pump or squeeze the bottle to get the lotion inside it.
• Since the viscosity of creams is high, they come in jars or tubs. So you have to open the tub or jar, get some cream from your fingers and apply that on your body.
• The skin absorbs the lotion faster than it absorbs the cream.
• Since the lotion is easily absorbed, you can use lotion during the summer and cream during the winter.
• Both lotions and creams come in different brands and with different prices.
These are the differences between lotion and cream. As you can see, their main difference lies in the viscosity. So, consider these facts when you are buying skin products next time.
- Lotion and shampoo by Roland Tanglao (CC BY 2.0)
- Cream via Pixabay (Public Domain)
What is the name of cream products on the shelfs?