Pitbull vs American Staffordshire Terrier
Pit bull terrier and American Staffordshire terrier are two extremely loyal and popular dog breeds that exhibit some interesting differences between each other and those would be important to discuss. Similarities are many between them, but the differences are important to know, as any unfamiliar person could easily misidentify these two.
American Staffordshire Terrier
American Staffordshire terrier is a medium sized dog with a short coat of fur. They originated in the United States, but their ancestors came from England. White English Terrier, Fox Terrier, and Black and Tan Terrier dogs were crossed with bulldogs to develop this breed of Staffordshire terriers. Their lifespan could vary from 12 to 16 years if a better care is given. The average height of an adult is about 43 to 48 centimetres and average weight is about 18 to 23 kilograms. They are extremely strong for their size. American Staffordshire terriers have a medium sized muzzle, and it is round at the upper side. Their eyes are dark and round and the lips are tightly closed, but there is no looseness or dewlap. This dog breed has a thick, glossy, and short coat of fur. They are intelligent and people keep them as both pets and guard dogs. Tail docking is common and ear cropping is less common for this breed.
Pit Bull Terrier
This medium sized dog is a member of Molosser breed group. Origin of this breed is the United States, but the ancestors were from England and Ireland. They resulted from the cross between terriers and bulldogs. Pit bull terriers are also known as American pit bull terriers. They have a short fur coat and the colouration could vary according to the parents. Their musculature is smooth and well developed but never appears bulky. Their eyes are round to almond shaped and ears are small. An adult pit bull terrier ranges from 14 to 41 kilograms of weight and from 36 to 61 centimetres of height. They are generally friendly with their owners as well as with strangers. They have been trained for hunting purposes, as they are good chasers. A healthy pit bull terrier could live about 14 years.
What is the difference between American Staffordshire Terrier and Pit Bull Terrier?
· Both are medium sized dogs originated in USA. However, the ancestors were from England for the Staffordshire terriers, while those were from both England and Ireland for pit bull terriers.
· Staffordshire terriers are heavier and shorter compared to pit bull terriers.
· Shoulders are heavier and stronger in Staffordshire terrier than in pit bull terriers.
· Ear cropping and tail docking is common for Staffordshire terriers, but those are not common in American pit bull terriers.
· They both are prone to same kind of diseases, but the tolerance is higher in Staffordshire terriers.
· American Staffordshire terriers have round and dark eyes, while American pit bull terriers have round to almond shape eyes those are not always dark.