Laying vs Lying
Of all the irregular verbs, lay and lie are two that confuse people the most. People keep on making mistakes between laying and lying without even realizing. This happens because of the similarities in the meanings of the two verbs laying and lying. This article takes a closer look at laying and lying to remove the confusion form the minds of the readers once and for all.
Laying / Lay
Laying is the present participle of lay which is a transitive verb that means to put to rest or simply to place a thing or object. The past tense of lay is laid. Laying is an act that reflects the fact that an object was laid or put to rest or in place by someone. Always use laying whenever there is an act of putting down someone or something. So it is always laying the carpet, laying down the mobile on the bed, laying the patient on the stretcher, and so on. You are laying the bed sheet on the bed.
Lying / Lie
Lying comes from lie which is a word that has two completely different meanings. While to tell a lie is also a meaning, it is the meaning of reclining or getting into a resting position that is reflected by the intransitive verb lying. The present participle of lie is lying, and you make use of lying to indicate the fact that someone or something is reclining or is in a resting position. Take a look at the following examples.
• Bob is lying on the sofa
• Your dog is lying on the doormat
• Helen picked up the crying baby who was lying in the crib
Laying vs Lying
• Laying is a verb that is active and requires someone to put someone else or something to rest or in a reclining position. The hen is laying eggs implies the hen is working to produce eggs. The maid is laying the table for dinner at home, or the waiter is laying the order on the table for the customer is the right verb to be used.
• Lying comes from lie which means to rest or be in a reclining position.
• If someone is in a reclining position, you say he is lying on the sofa or bed. The annual report was lying on the table of the principal.
• If you are laying, you are supposed to be putting down something whereas when you are lying, you are just resting or reclining.