Mexican vs Spanish
At first glance, differences between Mexican and Spanish are all too glaring; the two are separate countries out of whom Mexico lies in South America while Spain lies in Europe. In US, Latino is the word used to refer to all individuals and groups with Latin American roots. There is a term Hispanic used in the country to refer to people belonging to Latin American countries and speaking Spanish language. Though there are many similarities between Mexican and Spanish people, there are differences also that will be discussed in this article.
Both Spanish and Mexican people speak Spanish language, which is what makes the situation confusing for the people in US. However, there are differences in Spanish as it is spoken in Spain, and the way it is spoken in Mexico. Spanish people are of European descent, and you would find European whites in Spain, whereas if one looks at Mexican people, they appear to belong to different ethnic groups such as Aztec and Mayan, though there are also European and people of Spanish descent in Mexico. In general, there are more dark skinned people than whites in Mexico. It is clear then that Mexicans are both Latinos and Hispanic as they belong to a South American country and speak Spanish. However, they are not Spanish, and only people from Spain qualify to be labelled as Spanish.
It is true that Mexicans share Spanish language with natives of Spain, but there are far too many regional variations that make linguists say that Mexican Spanish qualifies to be a separate language. One finds a lot of Spanish influence on culture in Mexico such as bull fights, foods like Spanish rice, and yes, Catholic Religion. Yet it is easy to see the differences between Mexican and Spanish people. Mexico is an erstwhile Spanish colony, which is why there are so many things in common between Spanish and Mexican people.
What is the difference between Mexican and Spanish?
• Hispanic is a term used for people living in the US speaking Spanish language. In this respect, both Spanish as well as Mexicans are Hispanics.
• Mexicans are people living in North America whereas Spaniards are people living in Europe
• Spanish people are mostly European whites, while native Mexicans are dark skinned people.
• There are differences in the way Spanish language is spoken in Mexico, just like English is spoken in US.
• There are differences in Mexican and Spanish cultures though the people speak the same Spanish language.
• Mexico is an erstwhile Spanish colony.
No related posts.