HTML5 vs Flash
The difference between HTML5 and Flash can be discussed under different aspects such as performance, browser support, ownership, etc. HTML stands for Hyper Text Markup Language, which is designed to develop websites. Flash or Adobe Flash is multimedia and a software platform that is a rich internet application. HTML5 and Flash are not manually exclusive technologies as they are little different from each other. Both the technologies have an ability to play audio and video within a web page using vector graphics.
What is HTML5?
HTML is the core technology Markup Language of the internet that is used to structure and present content of World Wide Web. HTML5 is the final complete 5th revision of the Hyper Text Markup Language of WWW. HTML5 is the improved version of HTML to support latest multimedia while keeping its easy readability. It is also a cross platform for mobile applications. Therefore, HTML5 is capable of running on any computer, as well as on mobile devices of any platform. It has an excellent performance on some platforms such as Linux and Mac OS X. New tag elements such as <video>, <audio> and <canvas> have been included in HTML5. These features are designed to make the handling of multimedia easy and also to make graphic content on the web without plugins and API.
What is Flash?
Adobe Flash is a multimedia software platform that is used for creating vector graphics, animations, games, which can be played and executed in Adobe Flash Player. Flash is more commonly used to serve streaming media, to create interactive content on the web pages and to create flash embedded software. Flash use vector graphics to provide animation of text, still images and drawings while allowing bidirectional streaming of video and audio. Flash also has an ability to capture inputs such as mouse, keyboard, microphone, or camera. Flash uses an object-oriented language called Action Script to create animations while Flash IDE called Adobe Flash Professional is used to develop flash content. Web browsers use Flash contents as plugins. Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and some smartphones, tablets are responsive for flash contents.
What is the difference between HTML5 and Flash?
• Proprietary vs Open Source:
• Flash is one of the proprietary software by Adobe.
• HTML5 is open source, and it is developed by many developers.
• Therefore, HTML5 is frequently upgraded and unique than flash.
• We have to spend money to get Flash.
• However, HTML5 is free and open.
• Flash has less performance in different platforms.
• HTML5 has a maximum performance in multimedia.
• Performance on Mobile Devices:
• It has been proven that flash has less performance on mobile devices as it consumes more power than HTML5.
• Flash runs really slow on some platforms such as Linux and Mac OS X.
• HTML5 runs fast on many platforms.
• Flash may cause device heat up.
• HTML5 does not create any issue with any device.
• Web Browser Support:
• At present, some web browsers do not support some of the flash contents.
• HTML5 does not have such problems.
• Flash uses plug-ins.
• Unlike Flash, HTML5 does not use plug-ins.
• Flash can be used alone for animations.
• HTML5 has become more popular than Flash with many companies who do software and web developments.
HTML5 vs Flash
HTML5 and Flash are used to support multimedia in websites and software applications. They are not mutually exclusive technologies. But their differences, provide strength to create more powerful software applications than before. Today, HTML5 has become more famous in providing services to the modern web developers, by making their lives easy to work with multimedia than Flash. HTML5 provides easiness to create presentations and websites in a beautiful and attractive manner with minimum work on the user’s end.