Ice Cream vs Frozen Yogurt
Ice cream and frozen yogurt are undoubtedly two of the most loved foods of all times. Commercially they are two of the best selling desserts all over the world. Although both ice cream and frozen yogurt are dairy products, they are very much different from one another in terms of taste as well as methods of preparation.
What is Ice Cream?
It is said that ice cream has been around since the 6th century B.C. Made from dairy products and sugar, ice cream is largely popular among both the young and the old for its creaminess and richness. It is available all over the world in various flavors, some of the most popular being vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, etc. Due to its ingredients being 20% milk fat, ice cream is also considered to be a high calorie snack.
What is Frozen Yogurt?
Frozen yogurt gained its commercial success in 1980, after modifications of the original recipe were made. Due to its low calorie content as it only consists of 5% milk fat, it is considered as a healthier alternative. Flavored frozen yogurts are very popular both for its benefits and taste. When making frozen yogurt, the fermentation process releases lactic acid, which thickens the milk proteins and guards the product against non-beneficial bacteria. It is believed that these live bacteria aids in digestion and prevents certain intestinal diseases. Therefore, frozen yogurt is also believed to possess a number of health benefits as well.
What is the difference between Ice Cream and Frozen Yogurt?
When it comes to snacks, munching on something healthy is always recommended when it comes to those small hunger pangs. Ice cream and frozen yogurt being two of the world’s most popular snacks, it is important to know the difference between the two in order to choose the healthiest one. Frozen yogurt has live micro-organisms that promote good health while ice cream does not contain these. Commonly known as probiotics, these cultures are added to ferment milk and remain in the product. Also, ice cream contains about 20% milk fat while yogurt only contains about 5% milk fat. Therefore, ice cream is much higher in calories than frozen yogurt.
• Made from dairy products and sugar, ice cream gained popularity for its creaminess and richness. Due to its ingredients being 20% milk fat, it is also considered as a high calorie snack.
• Due to its low calorie content consisting of only 5% milk fat, it is considered as a healthier alternative.
• What sets them both apart is the fact that frozen yogurt has live micro-organisms that promote good health. Commonly known as probiotics, these cultures are added to ferment milk and remain in the product.
- Difference Between Frozen Yogurt, Ice Cream and Soft Serve
- Difference Between Ice Cream and Custard
- Difference Between Gelato and Ice Cream
- Difference Between Ice Cream and Sorbet