Christianity vs Judaism
Though they seem similar in their teachings, there is a difference between Christianity and Judaism. Christianity and Judaism appear to be alike in their beliefs and faiths. One would say there is a great similarity between the two when it comes to their belief in God. They show differences between them. The major difference between Christianity and Judaism is their perception of the person of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the fulfillment of the Old Testament prophecies of a messiah according to Christianity. Judaism, on the contrary, recognizes Jesus Christ as a good teacher. They would even call him the prophet of God.
What is Christianity?
The Oxford dictionary defines Christianity as “The religion based on the person and teachings of Jesus Christ, or its beliefs and practices.” Christianity is also the most widespread religion in the world. Most Christians come from Protestant, Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches. Interesting fact is that Christianity originated from Judaism.
Christianity believes that Jesus Christ was the messiah. In short it can be said that Christianity says that Jesus was God in the flesh. They would say that God became a human being in the person of Jesus Christ. Christianity believes that Jesus Christ gave up his life or sacrificed his life to pay the price for our sins. Christians refer to the Biblical books about Jesus as the New Testament. They refer to the Hebrew books as the Old Testament. Christianity believes in the future second coming of Jesus.
What is Judaism?
The definition given to Judaism by the Oxford dictionary is as follows:
“The monotheistic religion of the Jews.”
Special annual festivals of the Jews include Yom Kippur and Passover.
Judaism does not believe that Jesus was the messiah. Judaism does not accept that Jesus Christ gave up his life or sacrificed his life to pay the price for our sins. They would say that such a kind of sacrifice was not necessary. They would not accept that Jesus was God personified. When it comes to Biblical books, Judaism does not accept the sacred texts as Old Testament. Judaism sees God as a single entity. It, of course, rejects the notion that Jesus or any other living being could be God. Judaism describes Heaven as a place where God debates with Angels on Talmudic law.
What is the difference between Christianity and Judaism?
So it should be understood that both Christianity and Judaism differed much only in the conception of the Person of Jesus Christ.
• Christianity believes that Jesus Christ was the messiah. Judaism does not believe that Jesus Christ was the messiah.
• Christianity holds the view that Jesus Christ sacrificed his life to take on to him our sins. Judaism does not hold this way. On the contrary, they say that there was no necessity to make any sacrifice on the part of Jesus.
• Christianity says that Jesus was God in the flesh whereas Judaism says that he was not so. He was human according to Judaism.
- Difference Between Christianity and Catholicism
- Difference Between Christianity and Hinduism
- Difference Between Christianity and Sikhism
- Difference Between Orthodox and Reform Judaism
- Difference Between Zionism and Judaism