iPad vs iPad 2 - Full Specs Compared. Hardware | Performance | Features | Accessories | Price | iOS 5 Updated | iPad News updates
iPad (iPad 1) and iPad 2, the first and second generation iPads from Apple are dominating the tablet market since 2010. With the introduction of several new tablets such as Motorola Xoom, Galaxy Tab 10.1, Blackberry PlayBook, Dell Streak 7, HTC Flyer and LG Optimus Pad everyone thought that Apple is going to lose the market grip. Apple shook that thought by releasing their second generation iPad 2 to the market within 10 days of the launch. iPad and iPad 2 are both similar in design. The display of iPad 2 is also the same. However, the new iPad 2 is slimmer, lighter, faster and has more features than iPad. It has used a brand new chip set called Apple A5. The A5 chip set is built with dual core 1GHz application processors and the GPU used in the chip set is also a better one than that used in A4 processor. Apple claims that the clock speed of the new A5 processor in iPad 2 is double that of the processor in iPad. The performance of the GPU in the A5 chipset is also nine plus times better compared to the one used in iPad. iPad 2 also comes with a new operating system iOS 4.3 and sports two cameras, 5MP at the rear and another at the front to use with FaceTime for video chat (FaceTime is carrier dependent application, available in all Wi-Fi models). The other improvement is the RAM size; the RAM is doubled from the 256 MB in iPad to 512 MB in iPad 2.
Unlike iPad’s two variations, iPad 2 has 3 variations. It has Wi-Fi only model and two 3G models one for GSM network and the other support CDMA network. In US, the GSM model is available with AT&T and the CDMA model is available with Verizon from March 11, 2011. iPad 2 also offers two color option; it has white and black models.
1. iPad 2 is amazingly slim and light; it is just 8.8 mm (0.34 inches) thin and weighs 1.33 pounds; that is 33% thinner and 15% lighter than iPad. However, the display (9.7 inches, 1024×768 pixels with IPS technology) and the body design remain the same (Single slab of aluminum in the back and the face is the same scratch resistance oleophobic coated glass). Only a slight different in the design, iPad 2 has angled edges. The edges are tapered; that has helped to reduce the weight.
2. Two cameras are new in iPad 2, a 5 MP rear camera with the capability for 720p HD video recording and a front-facing camera for video chat using FaceTime. There is no flash for the camera.
3. More powerful 1 GHz dual core A5 processor is used in iPad 2. iPad is built with 1GHz A4 processor.
4. Main memory is doubled; iPad 2 has 512 MB while iPad has only 256 MB.
1. iPad 2 offers better multitasking experience with the support of 1GHz dual core high performance A5 application processor, 512 MB RAM and the improved iOS 4.3.
2. The new A5 processor’s clock speed is twice faster than A4 and 9 plus times better (in practice we can expect 5 – 7 times better performance) on graphics while it consumes low power as like A4 processor.
Apple iPad 2 with its excellent performance will be a benchmark product in Apple’s Smartphone and Tablet Family.
1. HDMI capability – user can connect to HDTV via Apple digital AV adapter (cost an extra US$39). It has HDMI mirroring capability, but mirroring is not available for video playback.
2. The new operating system iOS 4.3 has improved on some features and added additional features like iTunes home sharing, PhotoBooth, improved iMovie ($4.99 from App Store) and improved AirPlay. With the improved AirPlay, user can wireless stream their media content to HDTV or speakers via AppleTV.
3. Preference for iPad Switch to mute or for rotation lock and parental control to restrict access to some applications are two other new features in iOS 4.3.
4. New application GarageBand ($4.99 from App Store)
However, iPad is also compatible with iOS 4.3 and iPad users can upgrade their OS to 4.3. Now it is iOS 4.3.1 (released 25 March 2011)
1. Smart Cover – Apple introduces a new bendable magnetic case for iPad 2, named ‘Smart Cover.’ The smart cover will cost an extra US $39.
2. Wireless Keyboard – a thin keyboard which can be connected over Bluetooth
3. iPad 2 Dock
Apple Digital AV adapter is same as the previous one. These accessories are not included to the box; users have to buy them separately. iPad 1 accessories are compatible with iPad 2, however, due to the reduced thickness the first generation dock will not be a perfect fit.
iPad 2 will be available in the US market from March 11th and to the global market starting from March 25th.
Market Price differences for iPad and iPad 2 (iPad 3G and iPad Wi-Fi with 16GB,32 GB and 64 GB)
|iPad||iPad 2||iPad||iPad 2||iPad||iPad 2|
|Cover – leather||-||$69||-||£59||-||A$79|
|Cover – poly||-||$39||-||£35||-||A$45|
Performance difference between iPad and iPad 2 depends on the iOS version differences and features with relavent hardware.
iPad 2 News Update:
More than 100,000 iPad specific apps added to iTunes
(1) Difference Between iOS 4.3 and iOS 5 (New Update)
(2) Difference Between iOS 4.2.1 and iOS 5 (New Update)
Other Related Links
Apple introducing iPad 2
Apple – Introducing the iPad Smart Cover
- Difference Between Apple iPad and Apple iPad 2
- Difference Between Apple iPad and iPad 2 Specifications (iPad vs iPad 2 Spec)- Video
- Difference Between Orange iPad 2 and Vodafone iPad 2 and T-Mobile iPad 2 and O2 iPad 2 and Three (3) iPad 2 Data Plans Prices
- Difference Between Apple iPhone 4 and Apple iPad 2
- Difference Between Apple iPad 2 and Motorola Xoom