Hip Hop vs Trance Music
For someone, who is not acquainted with these two types of music much, identifying the difference between Hip Hop and Trance Music will be a difficult task. Hip hop and Trance are two types of music that are becoming very popular these days. They have attracted youth in large numbers too. Originating from different time periods and different places, these music types still sound somewhat similar. This article hopes to explore more information about each type of music genre and to see the difference between Hip Hop and Trance Music.
What is Hip Hop?
The root cause of the hip hop music is the hip hop culture. It can be traced back to the 1970s. The hip hop music is believed to have its origin in the city of New York, United States of America. There is also a thought that the hip hop music might have originated from the African Americans. As a matter of fact, the word ‘hip hop’ was coined by one Keith ‘Cowboy’ for the first time when teasing a young official of the U.S. Army. Moreover, hip hop is characterized by the inclusion of variations such as break dance, DJing, rap, and graffiti. When it comes to the musical instruments used in their performances, it is seen that vocals, synthesizer, turntable, piano, guitar, sampler, and drums are profusely used in the hip hop music.
What is Trance Music?
On the other hand, the trance is of a later origin than hip hop. You may fix its origin in the late 20th century. It can be said that there might have been an influence of the hip hop music on the trance. It is interesting to note that United Kingdom is the birth place of trance. It is said to have originated from the acid house movement in the United Kingdom. Nothing was found regarding the time when the word trance was used for the first time. It was not also known who actually coined the word. There is a school of thought that the word trance would have been derived from the name of the music album of the title ‘Trancefer’ released by the famous Klaus Schulze in the year 1981.
Trance is characterized by the use of electronic instruments that are played in consonance with a particular kind of tempo. One of the finest characteristics of the trance music is that the beat range is very fast; in the sense that 130 to 160 beats can be heard per minute throughout the performance of electronic music such as industrial, techno and house varieties. When it comes to musical instruments used, instruments such as samplers, synthesizer, sequencers, and other electronic instruments are used profusely in trance form of music.
What is the difference between Hip Hop and Trance Music?
• Hip hop is based on hip hop culture and can be traced back to 1970’s. The origin of trance is said to be in the late 20th century.
• It is believed that hip hop was found in the city of New York, United States of America. African- Americans are said to have created hip hop. On the other hand, Trance is supposed to be found in the United Kingdom.
• Hip hop is characterized by the inclusion of variations such as break dance, DJing, rap and graffiti.
• Trance is characterized by the use of electronic instruments that are played in consonance with a particular kind of tempo.
• The two music forms hip hop and trance differ from each other in terms of the musical instruments used in their performances. Vocals, synthesizer, turntable, piano, guitar, sampler and drums are used in the hip hop music. On the other hand, samplers, synthesizer, sequencers, and other electronic instruments are used in trance.