Octopus vs Calamari
Exploration of the differences between octopus and calamari would return with many due to the high variability about those two. As a starting point, one is a cephalopod animal while the other is a food made out of a cephalopod. However, there are many instances that these two terms are not well understood and referred mistakenly. Therefore, a proper knowledge about both octopus and calamari together would clear the confusing or mistaken reference. This article intends to discuss the distinction between octopus and calamari with relevant discussions about their respective characteristics.
Octopus is a cephalopod belongs to the Order: Octopoda. There are around 300 extant octopus species in the oceans of the world. Usually, they are benthic animals living on the seabeds. Octopuses have two eyes and four pairs of arms. They are bilaterally symmetric animals, but they show the radial symmetry, as well. Octopuses neither do have any internal nor external skeleton despite some of the other cephalopods do; instead, their body maintains the rigidity via hydrostatic pressure. They have a mouth with a hard beak, and it is located at the centre point of the arms. Octopuses have different strategies to prevent from the predators including expulsion of ink, camouflaging, and deimatic displays. Their arms are equipped with suction cups or suckers, to immobilize their prey items via a strong grip. Out of all, their well-developed and complex nervous system is one of the important features to notify.
Calamari is the food processed out of squids, which is another cephalopod of the molluscs. In other words, calamari is the culinary reference for the squids. Calamari refers as squid in many places of the world. The term calamari has an Italian origin, as it was created in Italian cuisines. In preparation procedures, the squid sinned and the mantle is cleaned first. Then, the small rings are made by proper cutting techniques. The seasoning with appropriate ingredients follows the deep oil frying with a coat of batter. It is a special Mediterranean dish, which is extremely popular around the world. The popularity is high, especially in Europe and North America. Since the popularity is high, prices are exceptionally high among many other types of seafood. Usually, calamari or fried calamari has a coat of batter with special ingredients to increase the taste, and those vary according to the region and the demand of customers. The usual shape of calamari is circular or ring-like, and it is served with a sauce as a simple dish without too many decorations. However, breaded calamari is another food made out of squids by removing the mantle and stuffing with bread and rice.
What is the difference between Octopus and Calamari?
• Octopus is an animal, whereas calamari is a food.
• Octopus has a great diversity among species, but the diversity of types of food is not much when calamari is prepared from any species of squid.
• A certain octopus could be a food for another marine animal such as a whale, dolphin, shark, or an octopus, as well. However, calamari would never be a food of another animal but a human food.
• Octopus originated in the sea; whereas, calamari originated in the Mediterranean cuisines.
• Octopus is popular among fishermen, biologists, and animal interested people whereas calamari is a popular food among non-vegetarian people only.
• The lifetime of octopus is exceptionally longer in comparison with calamari.